Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hurray we made it home!

Wow, we made it home.  I have to admit, I didn't wrap up the trip as I would have liked.  We did well up until it got dark outside.  I only had  2 1/2 hours of sleep Saturday night, so I started out the journey back home a bit deprived of sleep.  My wonderful partner, doesn't do night driving well after about 9 or 10 pm as he needs his sleep. I usually do quite well at night, so I take that shift.

Starting out later than we wanted too, with not much sleep, sort of set the stage for diet disaster.  By 8 PM we were both tired and still had 6 hours of driving to go.  We decided we needed to eat.  Well, most fast foods are out of the question for me due to the gluten issue, but I had seen a ton of KFC's on the way there, so I was thinking that would be the best choice of fast food. Now picture my husband driving, a man who can get lost in a paper bag and a person who hates driving in the unknown at night. He missed one KFC then another, then another.  Finally, I remembered that the GPS can lead us to one without any problem.  I was so happy with myself!  I punched in the KFC and away we went!  ONLY in our life can we pick a KFC that doesn't exist for the public!  That's right!  We followed the GPS around one turn after another only to finally reach the location and we couldn't find the KFC if our life depended on it!  Up and Down the road, past the location that the GPS kept announcing was the location.  We finally turned into this private drive, past a sign giving out warnings that tresspassors will be prosecuted and that we were being taped on camera!  Imagine my delight at the thought of being in a strange state in jail, tired & hungry without my KFC!  We booked out of there like a bat out of hell.  Turns out that it was a huge UPS corporate office with KFC someplace deep in its bowels.  We didn't stick around. 

Once again, I punched in the KFC and we found another location.  We drove and drove and drove and finally we arrived!  The neighborhood didn't look very promising and the restaurant looked a bit dirty, but after all we went through, I think I might have eaten the chicken even if it was thrown on the floor and stomped on. 

This restaurant has a policy where you get a free $5 box meal if your order isn't served up within 90 seconds. And of course our order wasn't served up on time and we won a free meal. Now all we have to do is drive to Kentucky to get it!

Now, a normal person would probably figured out by this time, that God was trying to spare my body from ingesting this nasty food, but not me, oh no!  I proceeded to devour 5 legs.  We were given 12 pieces instead of 10, since we purchased the Sunday special, 10 pieces for $10.  We must have looked really bedraggled and poor and hungry that the guy gave us 2 extra pieces.  We didn't order any drinks or sides, but it didn't matter, we were on the slippery slope of killer fast foods! 

Now we felt better than ever on the whole trip up until this point.  And boy oh boy, did we ever pay for this choice!

It was all down hill from here.

It was dark and it started to rain. Did I mention the thousands of semi trucks that drive on this highway?  Picture it dark, raining, semi's and road construction!  Yep that was what we had to struggle with until I started dozing at the wheel.  Dwaine was fast asleep next to me and I was heading to lala land.  I saw a rest site ahead and I pulled in (see what KFC can do do one).  We slept for about 2 1/2 hours.

Now, a smart individual would learn from these lessons, but oh, no, I wasn't through yet!  I was still tired and groggy, so what did we chose to do? We headed for a Mc Donald's!  Those we could find without a GPS and we were sure we could find one open.  Yep, we sure did. 

And what did I see when I first entered?  A giant bill board showing a chocolate shake with whipped cream and a cherry.  Of course I passed that up, as I am on this magnificent journey to health!  Well, I did pass it up for about 30 seconds.

You guessed I ate the whole thing!  And now we got to drive home in snow, rain, slush, etc.

We ended up not getting home until 6;30 am.  That was one longggggggggggggg drive!

We managed to crawl up to bed and slept until 9 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment